Sunday, August 10, 2014

Jewelry Counter and Display Case

A local jewelry shop and studio that I've been working with for a couple of years, The Ritual Ritual in Philadelphia, just moved locations to a bigger and better space, and they needed some custom counters installed.  Having built out their first shop, I was involved with planning the building the retail section of the new store. 




Here's some renders of the original design I did in Rhino.  We ended up changing a couple of things but it gave me somewhere to start as to how the piece would be constructed.



I didn't take to many pictures of the build process, but my materials were a couple of sheets of 3/4 cabinet plywood, some very thin 1/4 plywood for the cladding, and 2x2's for the vertical supports, all purchased at the local big box.  


Here's the basic frame that I built.  The top section of the longer arm will get glassed in as a jewelry display case, the rest is counter space and storage.  The three pieces are built so the whole counter can be disassembled and moved around more easily.  


The front corner of the counter terminates in a support column so I had to cut holes for the post.  


Now getting clad in those thin sheets of plywood.  


The gap at the top is for a strip of wood that wraps around the whole edge.


Fully assembled in my studio with a couple of layers of paint.  I ended up putting a couple of coats of polyurethane on the top of the counter space to give it a bit more protection.


The back of the jewelry box opens to give easy access and also locks.  The glass will get installed once the whole thing is in place in the store.


Here's the counter all in place in it's new home.  I didn't count on the toe board on the wall so I had to do some minor editing but eventually got it in place.  It was a very tight fit, that thing isn't going anywhere any time soon.



The glass came in and fit no problem, it all got caulked in place, then I put a wooden corner guard around the edges to hide the seam.  Finally lights got installed and it was finished.  


  
Lots of storage space in the back.







1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.
    Jewelry Shop

    ReplyDelete